Saturday, January 21, 2012

Blogging & Twittering

This class has forced my hand at setting up a Blog and Twitter account. I have been extremely unaware of the use of types of accounts. I was also completely unaware of the number of people using this form of technology to communicate.

Blogging has most definitely taken me by surprise. I had no idea of the number of people using a Blog to communicate about such a wide variety of topics. I used a blog site set-up for one of my other classes and we posted a couple of communications within the blog; however, I have learned we did not use it to its' full potential. I spent some time moving through Blogger's Choice Awards and found very interesting material that could be useful to me for school, my classes and RCIA classes at church. I found the nature of the blogs that I checked to be interesting, intellectual and believable. The2009 Horizon Report K12 Edition metioned the use of communition tools merging use by the public within that year 2009. Blogging is another tool that allows people to communicate information and opinions, but in a more detail method than twitter. Using a blog in education can be extremely useful. Teachers and students can communicate ideas and ask and answer questions. In the state of Ohio legislature is looking for a method of communicating with students during days they are not able to attend because of bad weather. Using a blog such as Edmodo can give students assignments and display grades. Students can also communicate with each other for group work or to help each other.  I have actually set-up an Edmodo account for all my classes, but I do not utilize it because so many of my students do not have access to a computer. I have also learned that TPS administration does not want teachers using any social network until they can make rules for the useres.

Setting up a Twitter account and beginning to use the account has actually been fun. I had only heard about different stars making comments on Twitter and I wondered what the real purpose of this form of communication was really accomplishing. I learned that Twitter is about communicating what is going on in my life at the moment or maybe extending an opinion to someone that I may be following. The 2010 Horizon Report K12 Ediction metioned how the collaboration between the media and social networks such as Twitter. I also check the Twitter Counter. I was amased that all twitts are being counted and even estamated for one day in the future. It is an instant method of delivering a message to followers as David Pogue mentioned in Pogue's Posts. I choose to follow Bill Nye, Science News, Dr. Lambert and a cohort in the LEADERS program. I checked everyday to see if I received a response. I am actually excited to communicate with my cohort from LEADERS because we are partners in delivering professional development. This type of communication can be used in the same fashion for my students. Using Twitter in education can be an asset by asking and answering questions quickly and instantly.

1 comment:

  1. I must say your comments about Twitter and Blog's are similar to mine, except I've been tweeting for awhile (just without knowing the real reason or purpose of doing it). After reading your blog and the ways in which you plan on using it, I, too, am going to use it for church. Actually, I am a co-leader of a group (Prime Connection) of 30-50 year olds and we need a better way to communicate to group members and now that I know and understand the benefits of tweeting and blogging, our group become more viable and productive.

    I'm also excited that you have been able to find new ways of using technology to help your students. Actually, I think it would be a good idea for all teachers to develop their own blog as a means of keeping parents and students in the "loop." I hope your students realize the real benefit of Twitter and Blogging and maybe they will gain a better understanding of the use of FaceBook.

    Great job!

    ReplyDelete